You wash your hair more than once every few months, why not give your makeup brushes the same consideration? If you’re new to makeup, you may have never washed your brushes before. Did you know that by taking proper care of your brushes, you can help prolonge their lifespan as well as maintain a good sense of facial hygiene (germs and oils can live in unwashed brushes!)? For best results, try to clean your makeup accessories once a week! Help your face and makeup stay clean by following these easy steps.
What You’ll Need:
- Your makeup brushes
- Gentle clarifying shampoo, or baby shampoo
- Clean towel
- Your sink
- Shallow bowl (optional)
- Fill the shallow bowl with warm water and a small amount of shampoo. (If you’re choosing not to use a bowl, skip this step.)
- Rinse your brushes bristles-down in warm running water in the sink, removing the majority of the visible makeup residue. (This helps maintain the integrity of the glue that holds the bristles together at the handle.)
- Gently swirl your brushes in the shallow bowl (or your hand with some shampoo), and then rinse in warm running water.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the rinsed water from your brushes are clear.
- Gently wipe your brushes on a dry cloth, reshaping fluffy ones.
- Lay your brushes on the cloth (in a dry spot) and leave them in a safe place to dry.